Occupational Therapist – Child, Adolescent and Family Access Team
· Permanent opportunity (36 hours per week) for an NZ Registered Occupational Therapist
· Bring your clinical expertise and play an integral role in assisting young people with a psychiatric crisis
· Experience working within a mental health setting is essential to this position.
Our Purpose: Why we do it
When you work with the Canterbury District Health Board, you’re part of something very special. We plan, fund and deliver health services to the almost 600,000 people that live in the Canterbury region. Our primary goal is to put people at the heart of everything we do.
The Team: What we do
Our Child, Adolescent and Family (CAF) Access Team receives enquiries and referrals for our CAF specialist mental health services and provides an emergency response with short term follow-up for young people with a psychiatric crisis.
Currently based at The Princess Margaret Hospital we are a small but growing multi-disciplinary team who work closely together. Your role will involve time in the referral area, including phone triaging, as well as in the emergency function. Clinicians have a range of skills and expertise working with young people up to 18 years of age (older if still at school).
This is a permanent opportunity working 36hrs per week for a NZ Registered Occupational Therapist. The days and hours required for this position are to be negotiated. We may also be open to a part-time job share for the right candidates – please clearly outline in your cover letter if you are only wishing to be considered for part-time hours.
The Role: Where you fit in
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Phone triaging of young people in crisis in conjunction with their family/whanau;
- Providing comprehensive psychiatric assessments and interventions to young people in psychiatric crisis and brief case management if felt necessary by multi-disciplinary team;
- Triaging routine referrals into our CAF services;
- Working collaboratively with external agencies striving for better health outcomes in our community.
Your skills will include:
- The ability to effectively communicate and work collaboratively with young people, family/whanau, within the team and with other agencies;
- A minimum of 2 years mental health experience along with knowledge of general mental health assessment or risk;
- Experience within a Child and Adolescent setting and an understanding of child and adolescent development is advantageous;
- Strong sensory integration modulation skills and knowledge to support children and adolescents and their family/whanau;
- Knowledge of and ability to use Occupational Therapy theoretical models to provide appropriate assessment and treatment for children and adolescents within a mental health setting;
- As some travel is required in this position, a current NZ driver’s license is essential.
- Registration with the NZ Occupational Therapy Board is essential along with current Annual Practicing Certificate (or eligibility to obtain);
Our Culture: What matters to us
Ko ngā tāngata, te mātua mahi
Putting people at the heart of all we do
Health is ultimately all about people. What’s important around here is the way we care for and respect others, the responsibility taken for delivering outcomes, and going about our work with integrity.
Belonging Here: Becoming part of our story
Being part of the Canterbury District Health Board, you will enjoy a fantastic benefits scheme, the opportunity for flexible working arrangements and ongoing focus on your career development.
The Canterbury DHB believes that diversity and inclusion is key to ensure we deliver the best care for our diverse population. The Canterbury DHB is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer that welcomes and respects everyone.
If this role has sparked your interest but does not match your skills, then please visit our careers website and have a look at our roles that better suit your expertise.
If you are interested in this role please apply directly on our career site here. Please note only applications submitted via our career site will be accepted.
Contact us on [email protected] for additional information
Posted on: April 27, 2021
Back to all Job Vacancies