Occupational Therapist – Tupuna Unit
- Permanent part-time opportunity (24hr per week) based at Hillmorton Hospital campus
- An exciting role offering the opportunity to advance your clinical skills within a service passionate about professional development
- Provide extended care to our consumers and support their preparation for community living
Our Purpose: Why we do it
When you work with the Canterbury District Health Board, you’re part of something very special. We plan, fund and deliver health services to the almost 600,000 people that live in the Canterbury region. Our primary goal is to put people at the heart of everything we do.
The Team: What we do
This is an exciting opportunity for an NZ Registered Occupational Therapist to become a key member of our Tupuna Unit within our Adult Inpatient Group, based at Hillmorton Hospital. Tupuna is a 15-bed inpatient unit, that provides 24-hour care for consumers with both mental and physical health issues.
Our multi-disciplinary team (MDT) consists of experienced healthcare professionals. We are passionate about supporting consumers to retain their level of personal skills during their stay in Tupuna and learning new skills to support a successful discharge back to community living. Our Specialist Mental Health Services have a strong focus on professional development and offer a range of individual development opportunities.
This is a permanent part-time opportunity working 24 hours per week. The days and hours are negotiable working across either 3 or 4 days.
The Role: Where you fit in
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Carrying out and documenting comprehensive Occupational Therapy assessments for consumers as required by the MDT;
- Developing and facilitating individual and group-based activities /programmes;
- Working with consumers from diverse social and cultural backgrounds and working collaboratively with whānau, the wider multidisciplinary team, and other relevant agencies to ensure the best outcomes;
- Identifying and contributing towards service improvement initiatives.
Your skills will include:
- The ability to work both autonomously and as a part of an MDT, while simultaneously providing a voice for Occupational Therapy within the MDT;
- The ability to build and develop trusted relationships with consumers, their family/whānau, the MDT and other relevant agencies;
- Applicants will need to be a New Zealand registered Occupational Therapist with current Annual Practicing Certificate;
- A minimum of 1 years’ experience within a mental health environment is preferable, as is the ability to activate patients throughout their stay in Tupuna;
- A full NZ driver’s license is essential as you will need to drive consumers to various facilities in the community.
Our Culture: What matters to us
Ko ngā tāngata, te mātua mahi
Putting people at the heart of all we do
Health is ultimately all about people. What’s important around here is the way we care for and respect others, the responsibility taken for delivering outcomes, and going about our work with integrity.
Belonging Here: Becoming part of our story
Being part of the Canterbury District Health Board, you will enjoy a fantastic benefits scheme, the opportunity for flexible working arrangements and ongoing focus on your career development.
The Canterbury DHB believes that diversity and inclusion is key to ensure we deliver the best care for our diverse population. The Canterbury DHB is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer that welcomes and respects everyone.
If this role has sparked your interest but does not match your skills then please visit our careers website and have a look at our roles that better suit your expertise.
Posted on: March 25, 2021
Back to all Job Vacancies